Cadent Gas (formerly National Grid Gas) and subcontractor tRIIO, a partnership between Skanska Construction UK and Morrison Utility Services, are carrying out essential gas mains replacement work across London, replacing ageing metal gas pipes with new plastic pipes.
Copper’s role is to work closely with Cadent and tRIIO to identify and mitigate key project risks, ensuring all affected communities are reached effectively and stakeholders are made aware of the benefits and vital nature of the works through a strong communications strategy.
- Communicate the most up-to-date and relevant information about Cadent’s gas mains replacement programme to local communities in an accessible and easily digestible manner
- Successfully articulate Cadent’s commitment to delivering various gas mains replacement works across London in the safest and fastest way possible
- Protect Cadent’s reputation by answering queries and providing regular feedback, and working with the local authority, to minimise potential delays to the project and negative community reaction or media coverage
- Improve customer experiences of gas works and promote the economic and community benefits of the gas mains replacement programme
- More than two million people living and working across London
- MPs, councillors, businesses and residents’ associations
- Permitting authority – local council highways and environmental officers
- Other key providers, such as Transport for London, traffic management operatives, hospitals, sports/public venues, schools and the emergency services
Our targeted strategic approach focuses on articulating the essential nature of these gas mains replacement works to develop mutual understanding and tolerance for the work with communities across London. We communicate the long-term benefit and explain the consideration that has been given to communities and businesses London in planning and undertaking the works.
- Mitigating the risk of project delays or sustained stakeholder opposition by consistently providing letter and email stakeholder updates relating to key developments
- Creating and maintaining a strong communications narrative around the works, focusing on community and safety considerations and working with the Cadent and tRIIO project teams to live these values
- Organising public exhibitions, community liaison working group meetings and briefings for local MPs, councils, schools, businesses and the wider public
- Regularly passing on and responding to stakeholder feedback, using the expertise and specialist information provided by Cadent project teams working across London
- Developing promotional materials to explain the need for the works to the public in a concise and articulate way which translates complex engineering information and enables communities to work with us to minimise the impact
OUTPUTS AND OUTCOMES
- Expertise and benefits of stakeholder engagement is recognised by Transport for London and local authorities in multiple London boroughs as being key to working with them to grant tRIIO/Cadent the required permissions to do the work
- Assisting Cadent and tRIIO in successfully articulating the gas mains replacement programme and the importance of investing in London’s gas mains to millions of stakeholders
- Improving political, business and community stakeholder relationships with Cadent, as well as communication channels between Cadent and other key service providers across London
- Delivering clear, concise, relevant and timely information and materials on a daily basis
- Regular gas mains replacement work continuing to take place across London aided by strategic and timely communications campaigns